Highlights. In 2022, U.S. credit card transactions totaled 54.8 billion for an average of 150.15 million per day, 6.25 million per hour, 104,274 per minute. or 1,739 per second.
- Total global credit card transactions were an estimated 678 billion in 2022 for an average of 1.86 billion per day, 77.4 million per hour, 1.29 million per minute, 21,510 per second.
- The average U.S. cardholder makes 210 credit card transactions per year or one transaction every 1¾ days.
- American consumers use credit cards to pay for 4-in-10 in-store purchases.
Credit Card Transactions per Processor
The world’s three (3) largest credit card processors facilitate over 600 billion transactions per year.
- The total number of transactions Visa processed reached 192.53 billion in their FY ending 2022.
- Visa, Inc. processed 226 billion global payment transactions in the 2021 calendar year.
- UnionPay processed an estimated 279 billion global transactions in 2022.
- Mastercard processed an estimated 164 billion transactions in 2022.
- Other credit card processors, including Discover and American Express, processed an estimated 16.8 billion transactions.
Credit Card Transaction Volume Statistics
Transaction volume refers to the transacted dollar value.
- Americans used credit cards for an estimated $4.98 trillion in purchases in 2022 for an average daily purchase rate of $13.6 billion.
- The average U.S. transaction is for $90.89.
- The four major U.S. processors facilitated $17.042 trillion in global consumer transactions in 2021.
|Increment||Transaction Values per|
These data and insights were compiled by the Capital One Shopping team based on publicly available data.